Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A New Year

I love the beginning of a new year. Anything seems possible.  It is even possible that I will finish all my UFO's! ha ha.  I mean to, but then, the lure of the new creation takes hold!

I was inspired by this fabric that has been in my stash for a while, Bohemian Soul by Art Gallery Fabrics. I had a stach of solids on my work table, and thought, "wouldn't this make a great background for a Modern Maple quilt"!?

I had downloaded the pattern from lark craft and looked at the one from Elsie's Girl Blog.  Shelly had filled in all the squares with different size maple leaves.  I liked that idea of different sizes, but still want to add negative space to give the leaves a falling effect.

My other change to this pattern was to appliqué the stems. I think it makes them more graceful.

The leaves are made with Kaffe Fasset shot cotton. This fabric has such a great shimmer!

 These are the 6 1/2" blocks. They are so cute!



 The 9 1/2" blocks have a 2" border to make a 12 1/2" block. (Thanks Sister Beth)!


This is the original size, 12 1/2".


The quilt so far.

Now I just need to decide whether to get more colors, or make each color in three sizes?
Linking up to WIP at Freshly Pieced.

3 comments:

  1. This is already a wonderful quilt ... Can't wait to see it's progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this is coming out great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I can see your dilemma on the colors - I'm slightly leaning towards more colors, but your start is great.

    ReplyDelete